Sunday, September 16, 2012

Boy Cards!

 Hi Friends!

As the Summer moves on, so does my reprieve from making "Boy Cards".  Ughh!!  I'm never caught up with those.  But, this year will be different!  I sat down and did some Pinterest surfing and found some techniques and cards to case and got a bunch done!

The first two I did by using the (now) very trendy "splotching" technique.  I'm sure it has an accurate name, but I can only show you how I did it, don't know the name!!






I wanted to use these dimensional "boy" stickers I picked up from Joann's during a 50% off sale last year.




 I chose coordinating ink colors (Island Indigo, Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake) and directly smooshed each of the ink pads down onto my craft sheet. I just pressed part of the ink pad down and I didn't mix the colors doing this.  Then I closed my ink pads and put them away.
 



Next I spritzed the inks with water, several times actually, so that the inks were pretty wet.  At that point, the resulting puddle of wet ink shown here became my ink pallet.





I used the splotch/stain stamp from SUs! Rock Star set, and just pressed it into my very wet ink pallet and then stamped my white card panel.  I stamped my two card panels at the same time.  (Sorry, I never mounted the sticker that should be on the back of this stamp block.)





After I was sure the splotch on my card panel was dry, I attached one of the boy stickers.  Next I stamped a sentiment that sort of went with the sticker (from the Fiskar's clear stamp set of Birthday Quotes). I attached the finished panel to my card base with dimensional foam and they were done!

This next Boy Card was not made using the above techinique!


It started as an embossed Crumb Cake CS panel using a Tim Holtz EF.  I wanted to play around and see how I could make it more grungy and vintage looking.

First I lightly swiped Adirondack Snow Cap ink direct onto the CS from the pad across my embossed panel.  I then alternated swiping some Chocolate Chip, Cherry Cobbler and Island Indigo inks across different areas of the card.  The Snow Cap ink helped to keep the ink colors muted.  I liked that the raised areas caught the colors pretty randomly and afterwards I went back and deliberately added more ink in some areas to bring out the colors.



I attached my sticker from the same sticker set, but it kind of got lost on the background.  So I took a black Copic marker and ran it around the edge of the sticker image so it would stand out a little better. I wrapped a string of twine and added my tag to finish it off.



This last card is a different altogether!     







No real technique to speak of; I just assembled some fun "Technologic" Kaiser Craft die cut shapes onto Vanilla CS.  I stamped a sentiment from Maya Road on the star before adhering it with dimensional foam.



This close up shows the little "Irresistible Resisters" that I wired onto the card.  They are actual tiny electronic resisters you see on the inside of electronic gadgets.  Really cool! I got them from "Sky Blue Pink", a very funky kind of store for crafters when you are looking for some odd, hard to find trinket stuff for creating!  







I hope you enjoyed my "Boy Cards"!

BTW, I just wanted to share with you that I had several cards published in "Papers and Pixels" (see my side bar) this month and also, I just found out I was one of five selected from the Hero Arts Blog this week as a "Heroine" for this card I entered into their challenge last week. I have a new "badge" from HA for my blog!! 

TFL, I'm so glad you stopped by!
 

6 comments:

Anne Temple said...

These all look fantastic. I especially like your splotched ones - they really pop off the white cardstock.

SmilynStef said...

Love all of these ... fantastic designs.

Julia Aston said...

Hi Anne! so glad you stopped by my blog to say hi today! I just LOVE your boy cards - what wonderful stickers and terrific techniques for the backgrounds - BIG congrats on getting published and for the hero arts honor! you deserve it GF!!!

Alice said...

wow! love love the backgrounds for the first two cards. amazing work, Anne! love them all!

Kathy Berger said...

Great cards, Anne! And congrats on your being published and in your heroine status! Definitely well deserved!

Crissy Armstrong said...

What an incredible collection of guy cards, wow! These are just super! Love the artistry of each design, wow! Eye popping!!!!