Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cherry Blossoms Card

Supplies used: White, Black, Blush Blossom CS. Basic Grey Infuse DP. Nestibilities. Martha Stewart Small Hydrangias punch, paper shaping stylus, black seed beads. SU Eastern Elegance and Kanji stamp sets. Versafine Black ink.
I made this card this weekend for my niece who has a fondness for Asian art. It's her 19th birthday next week. I prepared a base by layering a black panel with a panel of Basic Grey's Infuse paper. Next, I stamped the cherry blossom branch from SU's Eastern Elegance stamp set onto a red panel. I used a 3/4" punch to cut it up into even squares. Then I punched 1" squares from black CS and layered the red squares onto the black squres and adhered them all onto the card to recreate the branch. I die cut a black oval and a Blush Blossom oval using my Nestibilites ovals and stamped the "love" image from SU's Kanji set in Versafine Black ink. I attached them to the card using dimensionals. Next I made all the cherry blossoms. I used the Martha Stewart Hydrangea punch (the one that has 3 little hydrangea on it) and more Basic Grey Infuse paper. I punched a bunch of the hydrangea flowers and then used my flower shaper tool (see this post) to cause the petals to lift and bow, and then glued them strategically across the cherry blossom branch. I made the centers of the blossoms by punching some yellow light-weight patterned paper (that I had stashed for some unknown reason) with SU's Looks like Spring punch -- I used the small rounded flower from that punch. Then, I also punched the same yellow paper with a little teeny tiny Sun punch from Punch Bunch. I tipped the edges of both with brown marker, and again, using my flower shaper tool, I caused the yellow centers to bow and they fit right into the middle of the larger blossoms. For the medium sized blossoms, I only put the teeny Sun punched flower in the middle of them and dropped a little black bead in the centers. (That little sun punch is so tiny, I photographed it next to a re-inker bottle so you could see the size. ) Then, for the eency weency teeny tiny blossoms (like the one attached to the Oval), for their centers, I just put a little dot of glue in the center and dropped a black bead in there. Added a "token" Chinese coin (get it?? I kill me) to the corner of the mosaic design and left it at that. Here's some other close up pics: Hope you like it!! Thanks for checking it out!! Sweet Dreams everyone!

6 comments:

JulieA said...

Wow Anne! (picking jaw up off of the floor) That is drop dead amazing gorgeous!!!!!

Joan Ervin said...

My, oh, my, girlfriend....this is magnificant!!! The flowers are sooo gorgeous and what a super fabulous layout with the red squares and the oval sentiment!!! Awesome work, as always!!!!!!

Joanne Travis said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Anne, you are supposed to be helping me to use my present purchases, not enabling me to buy more :) Just teasing...
But seriously, I am going to Michael's today to see if they have this awesome punch. I'll walk so at least I can say it was mainly just for exercise!!
Gorgeous, gorgeous card, my friend!

Julia Aston said...

Yikes! you should be selling this card for $150 or donating it to a museum with those gorgeous blossoms Anne!!!! tell your niece she'd best frame it in a shadow box frame and put it in her will for her children to inherit!!!! this is really super (token joke and all!) you crack me up too!

Julia Aston said...

Hey - it's me again ! I just couldn't stay away from this beautiful card! LOL!!!

actually - I left you a tag on my blog if you want to play along! - no pressure if you're not inclined!!!

http://createwithjulia.blogspot.com/2009/02/what-guy-wants.html

Holly said...

Oh MY!!!!! This is gorgeous!!!! What a beautiful job on this card. I love the layout and the papers, and the shaped flowers on top are just awesome. Wow.