Sunday, February 24, 2013

Little Cards and a Tip for You!


Hi Friends,

I love all the new dies I picked up at this weekend's Scrapbook Expo, so I've been trying to use them in all the challenges I've been doing over on SCS.  (BTW, if you're wondering, there's an additional drawing by the Member Companies if you complete all 11 challenges... so that's what I'm entering and that's why so many cards.)  Awesomely convenient that it fell on the same weekend I was gonna get new goodies!!  Woo Hoo... but I digress...

This 3x3 card set is for the Taylored Expressions "A Little Love Goes a Long Way" challenge.  The challenge is to make a set of 3x3 cards. I first created the card bases and used a Nestability Labels die to trim the ends so they had a wavy edge.

Next I started the design...

I used a Joy Craft "Cutting Embossing and Embroidery" die to die cut lots of the flourishes so I had a choice of using all the different colors combinations.  This die was a first for me (I never had an "embroidery" die), so when I bought it, I chose the smallest one in the collection to "test it out".  I have decided I LOVE it!  The texture and detail of the die cuts that it makes are awesome!


I tried to get a good photo of the texture, but it totally gets lost in translation.  The best way I can describe it is that it looks like an embroidered doilie flower, kind of puffy, and then stitched all around.  So cool and intricate.




Anyhow, next I used a Cuttlebug Border embossing folder across the top of each of the card bases to add some texture so that the background wasn't so plain.  Then I glued my die cut flourish and stamped a little sentiment to the side of it.  I finished by embellishing the die cut just a bit with a white or yellow Prima flower, a punched mini starburst (Fiskars) and a rhinestone flower gem.

And while I was at it, I took a few photos of adding the gems so I could share this tip for adding teeny tiny gems to your projects:



Just squeeze a drop of glue onto your surface, then take your piercing tool and dip it into a little bit of the glue, touch the glued tip to the underside of the gem and carry it over to my card and lay it down right exactly where you want it.  This always works for me!  Hope it is something useful for you!




Finally, here's a close up of a couple of the cards.



TFL, I'm so glad you stopped by!
 

No comments: