Sunday, August 30, 2009

Julia's Dragon -- And a Fussy Cutting Tip

Supplies used: Dustin Pike Digi Images, SU Cheers to You. Copics, Crystal Effects, MS Crab punch, mini pom poms, Liquid Applique, Cuttlebug EF. Taken with Teal, Black, White, Red CS.
Oh Julia!!! This one's for you!! Yes, it only took me 3 weeks but I finally finished up my DDC that Julia (aka Create With Me) hosted way back when. She pointed us to these adorable F-R-E-E Dustin Pike images and we were to make a card with the Pirate Dragon and the background. I got him all colored up and then did lots of fussy cutting. Which brings me to my tip... I almost always take a black marker and draw around all the cut edges of an image that I've fussy cut. It's a very subtle detail, but I like how it kind of almost looks like you cut everything out perfectly that way, no white borders where you don't want them. Plus it makes the coloring pop a little more. IMO... :) And, on with the card.. Next it just seemed to me that this guy was a happy go lucky sort of fella, one party animal. Really. So I pulled out my SU Cheers to You set and made him a beer mug. I added some beer foam (Liquid Applique), a little extra dripping down the side cause it's sort of sloshy on that big ship and used Crystal Effects where the glass of the mug would be. I then cut away his sword and replaced it with the mug!! Then, I decided a party animal needs a party hat. Ya?? So I stamped a little hat from one of my $1.00 clear stamps from Michael's and added some mini pom poms. NOW we gotta party guy!! Right?? Lastly, I invited some ocean friends to the party, but so far only the crab has made it on board. He was created with Martha Stewart's little crab punch (50% off coupon this week ladies!!). I doused him in Crystal Effects to imitate the shinny shell surface he hauls around. So there you go!! Are these fun Digi's or what???!! :) Hope you're enjoying your weekend!! I'm so glad you stopped by!

7 comments:

Helena (Gvendalen) said...

So pretty card, Anne! Lovely image!

Patti J. said...

Now, why didn't I think of that? Great idea, and your card is fabulous! I LOVE it!!! Well done Anne, well done!

Joan Ervin said...

Now, how cute is this!!!!! What absolutely gorgeous coloring, Anne, and you clever girl...the beer mug is sooo fun!!!!!

Susan said...

wow, thanks for that tip, Anne. I love fussy cutting and will give it a try my very next time! Of course I adore that dragon with all the great details, especially the pom poms.

Julia Aston said...

Oh my gosh Anne! this guy is just so ADORABLE (can a dragon pirate be adorable?!?!?!) I love his fuzzy hat and the great coloring on his outfit - his shoes are wonderfully done! and he must be so happy to have that foaming full mug of 'brew'!!! he won't even notice when that crabbie pinches him on his scrawny leg!!! great tip on the marker edges too!! you did good on this GF!!!!

by the way - Anne Harmon and I are meeting for dinner tonight at a local 99 restaurant!!! we live about 45 minutes apart and have kept saying we need to get together and finally planned it! I'll be sure to take pics to share!

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

SQUEEEEAAAAALLLL! OMG, Anne! This is so stinkin' cute! You really should submit this for publication. Such spectacular details!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!