Friday, March 20, 2009
Mothers Day Fan Card
The nicest person found one of the Mother's Day Fan Cards I made last year in my SCS gallery and asked me for instructions...YIKES! I didn't write up any but I promised I would figure out something and get her the info. The ones below are posted on SCS, but I don't know which one it was that she originally saw. Anyhow, I thought I would include them in this tutorial just so you could see how different they can look depending on the DP and stamping you use for each one. Here's how they're done... (Just know that the number of layers and card size will vary depending on how creative you feel!) This tutorial is specifically for the 5-1/4" square card shown at the top center of this post. I started with a 4-3/4" square piece of Textured Pink Piorette CS for my base and a 10 x 4" piece of Walk in the Park DP series (both SU) to make the card. I created a scalloped border with my SU Scallop Border punch. (For this tutorial, I will call the scalloped side the "top" of the fan and the straight edge the "bottom".) Next I scored the 10x4" piece every 1/2" (I used my Scor-Pal, but you can measure and score it any way that is easiest for you). I folded at the score lines in an accordian faschion to make the piece pliable. Each end of the fan piece starts out as a "valley" fold. I then flattenend it back out again, flipped it over, and on the back side of the printed DP, I ran a tape runner along the "bottom" edge of the fan piece. Next I accordian folded it back again (here you see the back side) and squeezed the bottom part together so it starts to stay taped together at the botom. No worries if it doesn't stay completely taped together yet. Next I picked a corner of my Pink Piourette card base and marked both sides of the one corner at 7/8" to use as a guide for placement of the fan. Next, I ran tape along each end of the folded accordion fan piece -- (on the back side of the DP). I aligned the fan piece, print side up, at one of the 7/8" marks on the corner of the pink card base, and smoothed down the folded end that had the tape on it. I "stretched" open the fan across the pink base, then attached it at the other end to the other side of the base right at the 7/8" mark on the other corner. Then I focused on decorating the base of the card using stamps to make a background and the sentiment, and added ribbon, butterflies, diecuts and half-back pearls for dimension. I layered the now decorated base onto Tempting Turquoise CS and attched it to the main base of the card. Hope you enjoyed it and make a few of these yourselfs!! I'd love to hear from you if you do!! Thanks for checking in!!